Since ChatGPT’s initial remarkable demonstration of its natural language abilities, more than six months have passed. During this time, significant developments have occurred, such as Google introducing its own Bard AI chatbot and Microsoft’s substantial $10 billion investment in OpenAI, the creator of ChatGPT. Presently, the tech industry eagerly anticipates OpenAI’s announcement of GPT-5, the upcoming advanced language model. To provide an overview of the anticipation, we have compiled all the rumors, leaks, and speculations surrounding the forthcoming major update to ChatGPT.
Also read: CM3 Leon Meta – a more efficient, state-of-the-art
Openai looking for GPT-5?
OpenAI released GPT-4, an upgraded version of its language model, shortly after the launch of ChatGPT in late 2022. GPT-4 introduced several enhancements, including improved logical reasoning and a broader general knowledge base. Although it lacks knowledge of events beyond 2021, the model has increased awareness of the world. One notable improvement is its capacity to process up to 25,000 words, enabling the examination and analysis of lengthy documents. Additionally, GPT-4 gained the capability to interpret images and graphs.
However, only a limited number of people are aware of GPT-4 and have had the opportunity to use it. This is mainly due to the requirement of a subscription to ChatGPT Plus, which comes at a cost of $20 per month. This price makes it a more expensive option compared to the free GPT-3.5 tier. Additionally, some notable features such as image inputs are still not accessible. Furthermore, even today, not many people are familiar with the alternative method of interacting with GPT-4 through Bing Chat, which is available for free.
Also check: Llama 2 Download
GPT 5 release date: When will it arrive?
The advanced capabilities and human-like mimicry of GPT-4 raised concerns in the tech community, leading to debates about the ethical and legal implications. Influential figures such as Elon Musk and Steve Wozniak warned about the risks of AI and suggested a temporary halt on developing models more advanced than GPT-4.
OpenAI responded by announcing that they had no plans to train a successor to GPT-4, with their CEO Sam Altman stating in June 2023 that the company was not currently working on a new model. Altman emphasized that while they were exploring new ideas, the development of a successor was not imminent.
GPT-4 took over two years to develop, so we may not see a successor until 2025 at least.
Also check: ChatGPT 5 login
GPT 5 features: How will it improve ChatGPT?
Given that GPT-5 is still potentially years away, we can only speculate what it will bring to the table. But thanks to Google and open-source AI projects, we have a pretty good idea about where the industry’s headed next. Here are some of the most anticipated improvements that GPT-5 or ChatGPT 5 will bring to the table:
- Multimodal capabilities: GPT-4 can already handle image and text inputs, but we’re still waiting on audio and video modalities. We’ve already seen Google start to experiment with multimodal AI to develop offshoot versions of its PaLM 2 language model for medical applications. It’s only a matter of time before competition forces OpenAI to innovate as well.
- More truthful: A next-generation language model like GPT-5 could increase its training dataset size and variety. Even though GPT-4 fares better than its predecessors, it doesn’t know a lot about obscure scientific concepts and lesser-known subjects. And in the absence of knowledge, large language models tend to hallucinate or respond with made-up information.
- Artificial general intelligence (AGI): Imagine if you could assign menial tasks or jobs to AI. That could become a reality with GPT-5 if OpenAI continues to work on integrations with third-party services. For example, you could ask an autonomous agent to buy groceries based on your budget and dietary preferences. It would automatically search the internet for recipes, shop for the required ingredients, and have them delivered to you. This would bring us one step closer to artificial general intelligence (AGI).
While we can only speculate about the specific advancements that GPT-5 or ChatGPT 5 will bring, we can make educated predictions based on the current trajectory of the industry. Open-source AI projects and Google’s contributions have provided valuable insights into the anticipated improvements of future language models. Here are some of the expected enhancements:
- Increased capability: GPT-5 is likely to exhibit a significant improvement in its ability to understand and generate human-like text. It will have a deeper understanding of context and be better at producing coherent and contextually appropriate responses.
- Enhanced contextual understanding: The model will be more proficient at comprehending complex prompts, making it better equipped to generate accurate and relevant responses across a wide range of topics.
- Improved reasoning and logic: GPT-5 may possess enhanced reasoning abilities, enabling it to engage in more sophisticated conversations and provide more logical and coherent explanations.
- Better handling of ambiguity and context shifts: GPT-5 will be designed to better navigate ambiguous queries and handle context shifts effectively, resulting in more accurate and contextually appropriate responses.
- Reduced biases: Efforts will likely be made to mitigate biases in GPT-5, ensuring that it produces fair and unbiased responses across various demographics and topics.
- Expanded knowledge base: GPT-5 is expected to have access to an even larger knowledge base, allowing it to provide more accurate and up-to-date information on a wide range of subjects.
- Improved conversational flow: The model may exhibit better conversational flow, understanding nuances in human interactions, and generating responses that feel more natural and engaging.
- Customizability and personalization: GPT-5 might offer more options for customization and personalization, allowing users to fine-tune the model’s behavior to better suit their individual preferences and requirements.
- Enhanced multitasking: GPT-5 could potentially handle multiple tasks simultaneously, offering users the ability to perform various functions within a single conversation.
The release of GPT-5 may lead to increased accessibility and affordability of GPT-4. This could enhance ChatGPT’s capabilities in complex tasks such as coding, translation, and research, as it will be more widely used.